Friday, August 15, 2014

Kidnapped!

I've been missing in action lately and slow visiting and replying to comments but I am trying hard to catch up! I think summer does that to blog world! And besides, I've been having a little bit of fun!



Most recently, it was birthday weekend. It started out enjoying several really good acts at the terrific Great Lakes Folk Festival. We enjoyed the first night with our friend Mark, listening to klezmer while we ate -- then some blues as the sun went down!

 
We heard Canadian fiddle (my favorite), Celtic, Mariachi, Klezmer and more!


This event is funded largely by donations and corporate sponsors and is free to patrons who donate to the creatively dressed bucket brigade. Chicken Man is a fixture!


Then, the day before my birthday, Rick kidnapped me! He took me to a picnic at a mysterious location. Imagine when we drove in and I saw this summer stock theatre! I was thrilled!


We had a lovely picnic in a shady spot on the theatre grounds.


He was a perfect host! And it was fun to be in this lovely spot, knowing even more fun was to come!


After, we did the obligatory selfie!


Someone else came by for this one -- this theatre has a long history in southeastern Michigan. It was great fun to see something here (and I wondered why we had waited!).


Our selection was "Hair" -- definitely a period piece and well done.


After, the "Rehearsal Shed" bar was open with a fun three-act floor show. The theatre company did lots of musical numbers and keeping with the program, many were from the 60s and 70s.


It couldn't be better -- and that was the day before! On the "real" day, it was quiet -- a good time to hang home and gather basil and tomatoes! Rick made dinner, presents and we watched a movie. And then I've been celebrating all week! Indeed -- life is fun.


Mostly, I am so very, very grateful. Last year at this time I was still working and it had been an excruciating year, extremely stressed, in medical limbo. I had no idea if the year to come would be the same or worse. I never imagined it would be so much better. I am truly blessed.


 Many of you have been with the Gypsy since it started in 2008. Now it's more than a thousand posts later. (I'm hoping to have a celebratory drawing once my feet get back on the ground this fall!)


 But if you joined in later or are just happening by and want to know a little more about this blog or its back story, please visit Susan at Must Love Junk! She is featuring me as her "Saturday Spotlight" beginning Saturday, August 16. I'm just delighted because Susan has one of those decorating blogs that makes me swoon! The has an antique shop in Ohio (and was recently featured in Vintage Style magazine!). So, even if you don't look at her spotlight, do check out her blog!

22 comments:

Mary said...

What fun Jeanie! And Happy belated Birthday! :) Summer is especially busy, you're right, but so much fun. I love all your photos here. They're wonderful!

Janet said...

That's the kind of kidnapping that you don't mind. It sounds as if you've had a good time celebrating your special day...just as it should be.

Barb said...

Jeanie, you Birthday Gal! You look great - I told you retirement can't be beat. Sounds as though you are having a great week of celebration. PS Those tomatoes look yummy! I just cut some for on our salmon burgers.

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

Happy belated birthday, Jeanie!! The kidnapping was a masterful plan -- what a fun day and evening, actually what a great week you've had! So happy for you that this retirement year has been such a happy one. You look terrific!

littleRamstudio said...

Many Happy Returns of the day, or should that be week?!
I always envy people with summer birthdays, mine is in the bleak part of January. So that's usually grey, often snowy and always with people broke from the festive season, don't think I've ever had a full price present, it's always been in a sale!
Heather :)

Margs Primitive Quilts said...

Happy Belated Birthday and many happy returns! I am new to your blog and it has been a pleasure getting to " know" you!
Have a great weekend!

Joanne Huffman said...

What a great birthday celebration. When I hit 60, I decided that birthdays that end in zero or five should be celebrated for the whole year (like the Bicentennial) and all others should be celebrated for the entire birthday month. Make the joys last as long as possible. Your photos, as always, are delightful.

Marilyn Miller said...

What a very special birthday and I am so glad you are feeling better and had a good year. I love that Rick "kidnapped" you and took you on this special picnic adventure. Even your tomato in the garden looks delightful!

The French Hutch said...

Hi Jeanie, What a wonderful week you’ve had. The weekend with the festival with friends and then the picnic and summer stock theatre, I know that was your kind of fun! I remember some of the stress you were going through and I’m thrilled for you it’s been a blessed year. Great tomatoes and love the pic of a special kitty in the window!
Happy Happy Birthday sweet friend........

Arti said...

A belated Happy Birthday to you Jeanie! What a wonderful adventure, kidnapped by love. So glad to see all these festive pictures, and yes, endearing selfie with your kidnapper. Thanks for sharing your memorable experience. ;)

Susie said...

Hi Jeanie, I love the cat in the window picture so much. I have enjoyed your feature at Susan's and this post. Your viewing of "Hair" must have been fun. Blessings, xoxo,Susie
p.s. I will be visiting again. :):)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are healthier and happier this year than last.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Belated Happy Birthday. personally I like when we can celebrate a birthday for a week. LOL I will be following your great blog.
Have a great weekend.
Mary

Annie Jeffries said...

So much fun to be had and, hey, i recognize that window. Love it.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Wow, Rick did an amazing job planning your birthday surprise. I am glad you had a special day with him. I am so
glad that the past year has been as wonderful as it has been. I remember how difficult this time was for you last year. I am glad life is on the upswing for you and that you've got time to do the things that you really enjoy! Here's to another wonderful year!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Love your pictures! I enjoyed your feature over at Must Love Junk.

shoreacres said...

Happy belated birthday! It looks like you had wonderful fun all the way around. I remember you telling me about some of the music festivals up there, with such variety and so many accomplished musicians. It must have been great!

But I'm so confused... didn't I read something about Harry earlier? or the Ditch? Maybe I dreamed it. Or maybe our heat's got me!

Jennifer Richardson said...

I'm so glad you were thoroughly
celebrated and hope the birthday sweetness lingers long
and that all your days are peace:)
-Jennifer

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOW. You squeezed out as much fun as possible for your summer, Jeanie! YAHOOOO! Wow, this looks like fun with the red barn THEATRE! YES! And the music and the laughs and all the goodies! Hasn't it been just lovely?

Willow said...

So glad to hear this year was so much better for you Jeanie.
Oh yes my I would have loved the theatre !
Look at that lovely tomato ! :)

Esme said...

Happy Birthday-you look so happy in the photos. This looks like the perfect way to go MIA.

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday belated, Jeanie! No apologies for being MIA... when you're having that much fun, it's hard to stop. ;o) Keep on, keeping on having fun--LOL! And happy with the 1000!! ((BIRTHDAY HUGS))

Popular Posts