Monday, July 29, 2013

Paris In July: Paris at Night

As I wrap up my Paris in July posts, it seems fitting to leave the City of Light when the light is the most remarkable -- in the twilight and evening.
My small camera can't do justice to the setting sun, when life quiets down just a little bit and seems all the more tranquil.
Well, not everywhere is it tranquil!
Take the metro to Montmartre and check out the activity by the Moulin Rouge.
 
I'm quite sure the show inside couldn't match the lights and people outside!
 
Hop on that Metro again...
 
...and head down toward the most famous sight in Paris!
 
When viewed from Champs des Mars in late April, the light falls in a perfect sunset position.
 
And then the lights begin to sparkle!
 
We'll dine at Verjus, a lovely restaurant on Rue du Richelieu, with a view of the Theatre Palais Royal right outside our window.
 
And then we'll walk home through quiet streets...
And then bright city lights.
We'll note a colorful art installation over a metro grate quite near the north side of the Louvre.
We'll stop in the courtyard of the Louvre where we admire the architecture...
...and the famous I.M. Pei pyramid.
And, we'll note the "little" Arc du Triomphe, with the sparkling Eiffel Tower behind it.
Perhaps it's time for a snack! We'll cross the Pont des Arts, where Rick and I left a love lock the day before...
...and we might stop at a cafe where jazz hangs in the air.
We'll cross back and walk along the Seine.
We'll admire sites on both sides of the river.
And, we'll wonder what the people are doing on the other side!  
We'll make a stop by Notre Dame at night.
The lights add a new dimension to this Parisian landmark.
In some ways, you can see the details so much more clearly.
And from a distance, note Tour St. Jacques.
And soon, we'll have a better view.
The Chatelet theatre is lit as brightly from the outside as in, as we cross the Seine again.
Boats amble down the river, the bateau mouches taking the evening dinner cruise.
As we near our destination behind the blue doors, we pass Hotel de Ville.
The feet are tired and it is time to call it a day. But oh, what a day!
Good night, Paris. And thanks to all the Paris in July posters who have taken me back to the City of Light.
You can find links at Thyme for Tea and Bookbath!

28 comments:

I need orange said...

Thanks for taking me back to Paris for a few minutes! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love Paris! I've been to most of those places! We saw a show at the Moulin Rouge many many years ago. I was shocked seeing boobies! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Jeanie said...

No one takes us travelling with them as well as you do.....beautiful pictures and wonderful descriptions.
I just love your enthusiasm.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

LOVE this post. It is truly a moveable feast of photos of Paris. It makes me even more excited for my Paris trip! I just love how we share this bond of a great passion for that fabulous city!

Louise said...

What a lovely finale for Paris in July, so much essential Paris, I've only visited between May and July, so most often the sun is setting very late and I haven't seen so much of Paris by night, but you do get such a lovely evening twilight.

Paulita said...

Terrific photos. I don't know if I prefer the sunset light or the night time photos. Thanks for visiting Dreaming of France. I hope you'll play along soon.

anno said...

Sigh... such a lovely tour, of one of my most beloved cities. Thanks so much!

Tamara said...

Ahhhh! Beautiful photos, beautiful city. Jeanie, you do have a talent for taking your readers with you - Thanks. I really dont want Paris in July to end - i will miss all these wonderful little journeys with my friends. well done this year.

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Thank you so much Jeanie for the beautiful tour of Paris.. It was just lovely!
blessings,
Penny

Tracy said...

Evening in Paris...*BIG SWOON*... Simply dazzling! Have so much enjoyed your extra looks at Paris, Jeanie--this was a real treat for summer for us! :o) ((HUGS))

Joanne Huffman said...

Such a nice, lovely amble though the lights of the City of Lights. Thanks for sharing.

Cottage and Broome said...

I love all your Paris photos, looks like you had a wonderful time! Yes, the cool down up north was nice but we had all day rain too. We need the rain but I felt bad for the people that came up for the weekend. Laura

Virginia said...

I'm very tired, we walked a long way!!! Thank you for this last Paris fix. your photos were wonderful.
Parting is such sweet sorrow.
V

Jenny Woolf said...

Lovely photos! The first ones make me think very much of Paris on a fine summer evening, getting dark, lights on but still everywhere full of life and people.

One winter I went to a gallery in Paris and looked out of the window and it was filled with the illuminated Eiffel tower. You couldn't see the bottom of it, so it looked like a thin illuminated tower. Most striking and rather startling.

Mae Travels said...

I love the Palais Royal -- nice alternate view since you were outside the courtyards. Did you ever see the film "Charade" with Audrey Hepburn? It ends in a chase through the arcades of the Palais Royal.

Kirsten Steen said...

What a lovely trip to Paris, Jeanie! Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous shots with us. Loved the artwork over the metro grate...and everything else! Hope all is well with you and you're enjoying your summer! Thanks for visiting and let me know when we're taking another tour of Paris! I'll be here!
xoxo, Kirsten

DearHelenHartman said...

Breathtaking. It made me think of the movie Midnight in Paris. Loved the summer get away with you.

paris parfait said...

Lovely glimpses of the city in the evening light. These scenes never get old; the beauty of Paris withstands time.

Vivian Swift said...

You had me at "twilight". Isn't it amazing how great our little cameras are these days? I remember my first trip to Paris, in the 1970s, with my crappy Instamatic 110, and the nasty, fuzzy, brown-tinted photos that thing took in the DAY -- forget taking pictures after sun down.

Now, *sigh*, we have phones that take really decent night-time shots.

Of course, a camera is only as good as the "eye" behind it, so thank you for these lovely point-of-view photos. After looking at them twice I seriously need a glass of champagne.

Thank you also for your kind words about my book. I'm ready to do another one -- every visit to France produces so many memorable moments, it's easy to spend your life writing beautiful memoirs, nest-ce pas?

The Artful Diva said...

I hate to admit this Jeanie, I actually wore "Evening in Paris" perfume when I was in high school - makes me gag to think about that now! I love these evening shots...sigh...wish I was there!

Arti said...

Jeanie, you've done a marvelous job as our virtual tour guide in this Paris in July month. This is a beautiful post to wrap it all up. If these are from a pocket camera, then the photographer ought to be praised. ;)

Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll) said...

These are lovely photos. Clearly, I put my camera away too soon when the sun sets!

~*~Patty S said...

Your AND your camera did an absolutely splendid job capturing some of Paris' charms both day AND night!

Wonderful yet again dear Jeanie!
oxo
p.s. WHERE did July go???

The Old Parsonage said...

It must have been wonderful and full of romance!

Love those night time shots!

Leann

Sally Wessely said...

I could almost cry because these photos brought back so many wonderful memories of Paris for me. Thank you my dear for that.

Little did I know when I was there in early May of 2010, my world would be forever changed at the end of that month when I lost Julie. It is good to remember those beautiful memories of places that I'd always longed to visit and to remember a time when life seemed so different than it is today. XXX

Marilyn Miller said...

Love the night time in Paris. Your walk brought back memories and I loved seeing every picture.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

We have walked the same paths (Rue de Montpensier) and you have captured the night-time Paris beautifully. The water-colored sunset photos around La Tour are breathtaking!

Bises,
Genie

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

What a fabulous tour! Thank you so much!

Popular Posts